Friday, October 10, 2008

You get the call that your aging parent is in crisis

Last March, I received a call from my mother's friend (halfway across the country) that I had to come immediately; Mom was being hospitalized and her home was in a terrible state. In a 3 month period and 2 visits, I was able to get her health stabilized, her home totally renovated and sold and helped Mom to find the retirement community of her dreams. She is now healthy, mentally active, surrounded by a vibrant community of friends about 5 miles from where her home was.

I've decided to start this blog to help anyone who gets that kind of call from out of the blue. Who do you call first? How do you find resources in your parents' community (across the country)? What are the crucial steps you must follow in order to consider your parent's health, finances, living needs and also their personal wishes? The transition is not easy. It takes a lot of work, planning, and strong emotions will emerge. But, I (and my mother) are here to say....we worked through the process and my mother is happy, healthy and engaged in a way she has never been before in her life.

I hope that others who find this site will also share their stories. Just one little tip can help someone so much. Stay tuned each day as I share my tips and research.

Thanks for reading and also for sharing. Dale